Sunday, December 11, 2011

I Can Only Imagine


I am not a musician. I do not sing. BUT, I do enjoy listening to good music - in a wide variety of genres. You won’t find current top forty pop or country artists on my play list. I gave up on the pop culture music decades ago.  

 
Blues, Pop, Alternative (Outlaw) Country, Jazz, Bluegrass, R&B/Soul, Easy Listening, Alternative, Electronic, Real Country (1946 – 1992), Rock, - yes, even Folk.

Listed below are some artists may not be on your musical radar. Particular if all you listen to is the “pop culture” music, regardless of genre, played at nauseam on today’s radio.

AmeliaAngela Strehli,  Anjani,  Anne McCue,  Ben Harper & the Alabama Boys,  Big Bill Broonzy,  Big George Jackson,  Billy Joe Shaver,  The Bluerunners,  Bobby Blue Bland,  Buddy Miller,  Carrie Rodriguez,  Claudia Russell,  Crooked Still,  Delbert McClinton,  The Derailers,  Diana Krall,  Doc & Merle Watson,  Dolorean,  Fink,  Freddy King,  Gary U.S. Bonds,  Gillian Welch,  A Girl Called Eddy,  Greg Brown,  Greg Trooper,  Guy Davis,  The Holmes Brothers,  Hound Dog Taylor,  Irma Thomas,  J.J. Cale,   James King,  James McCurty,  John Prine,  Judy Collins,  Keith Sykes,  The Knitters,  Leonard Cohen,  Levon Helm,  Linda Thompson,  Little Junior Parker,  Little Walter,  The Little Willies,  Lucinda Williams,  Lucy Kaplansky,  Madeleine Peyroux,  Marcia Ball,  Mara Muldaur,  Mark Lemhouse,  Nathan,  Nathan Hamilton,  Neko Case,  Nina Simone,  Nora Jones,  Over The Rhine,  Pee Wee Crayton,  Phil Leadbetter, Pieta Brown,  Pinetop Perkins,  Pink Martini,  Preston Shannon,  Professor Longhair,  Ralph Stanley,  Ray Wylie Hubbard,  Robert Earl Keen,  Roberta Flack,  Roma di Luna,  Rosalia de Souza,  Roxanne Potvin,  Sade,  Sawyer Brown,  Scott Miller & the Commonwealth,  Shivaree,  Said Cleaves,  Solomon Burke,  Sonny Landreth,  Sophie Milman,  Southern Culture,  Stephen Burton,  Sue Foley,  Susan Tedesci,  T-Bone Walker,  Taj Mahal,  Tegan & Sara,  Tommy Tucker,  Tony Joe White  -  just to name a few.

Though many of the above artists record what you might call Gospel songs, most of their music is considered “secular” or “worldly”. Some of my Christian friends might criticize me for having such a play list – so-be-it. They enjoy their worldly TV, worldly movies, worldly activities – which I say is between them and the LORD Jesus.

Now that I have written these thoughts, I would like to take it a step further. "Christian Music". The Northwoods Assembly, Perham, MN “Praise and Worship Team’s” play list, sang during this morning’s service, consisted of some very God anointed songs. These songs are songs I want to include in tonight’s post. There isn't any music produced in the “world” to day that can move your soul like the music we sang in the morning church service today. Below I have include today's play list, by way of You Tube videos. I hope you are blessed, just I am!















No comments: