Sunday, July 1, 2012

Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad?



Click here
and enlarge to a  full screen.

I have no problem asking a young Marine to go to war for me … but only when freedom is at stake. 


I did and was happy to do so; I volunteered to go into Viet Nam, when I could have returned home instead … I only wish freedom had been at stake. 


My first born was seven weeks old before I met him ... if only freedom had been at stake.


Two years later my second born was nine months old before he and I became acquainted ... if only freedom had been at stake.


I am grateful my body returned home intact and in uniform, even to those many cold, cold stares ... if only freedom had been at stake.


My college roommate died in '69 flying a Huey helicopter in Viet Nam ... if only freedom had been at stake.


My best friend in college returned from Viet Nam and struggled a long time to get his mind right again ... if only freedom had been at stake.


My brother-in-law risked his life over and over and over again, flying helicopter rescue missions in and out of fire fights, in Viet Nam ... if only freedom had been at stake. 


55,000 sailors, soldiers, airmen and Marines died in that 10 year long war ... if only freedom had been at stake.


We did not win that war ... only because freedom was not at stake. 


Military personal in today's wars do not die in large numbers like they did in Viet Nam, instead they return home alive - by the thousands - without feet, legs, hands, arms, eyes, ears, noses, internal organs, genital or clear minds not plagued with a psychological trauma that will last them for a life time ... if only freedom was at stake.


The suicide rate is at record levels among both today's active duty military personal and the military veterans of today's wars ... would that be the case if they fought because our freedom was at stake?


We will not win this war ... because our freedom is not at stake.


God, please help us as a country to repent from this terrible sin of sending men and women to war … when our freedom is not at stake … we need Your forgiveness.

Because our freedom is at stake.








No comments: